A seven billion world population poses many challenges: combating poverty and diseases, securing education and providing livelihoods. But it can also be an opportunity to renew our commitment as individuals to make this world a better place to live. As one of the seven billion people, each one of us must think for a moment on the significance of the Day of Seven Billion.
Day of Seven Billion 2017
Day of the Seven Billion 2017 will take place on Tuesday, the 31st of October, 2017.
Day of the Seven Billion is always celebrated on the 31st of October.
Day of Seven Billion Origin
On October 31, 2011, the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) estimated that the world’s population reached seven billion. Top UN officials called world leaders to action to meet the challenges associated with the growing population. These challenges include the provision of adequate food, clean water and equal access to security and justice.
To commemorate the 7 billion world population, UNFPA established a worldwide campaign ‘7 Billion Actions”. The aim is to address 7 key issues such as poverty, gender equality, youth, reproductive health, environment, ageing and urbanization.
Day of Seven Billion Observance
The choices we make now affect the future generation and our planet too. We can participate in this celebration by thinking about our choices and lifestyle.
- Save water. Some of us have no trouble taking a shower every day, but in other parts of the world, people find it challenging just to find a clean water to drink.
- Adjust lifestyle. Few have lavish lifestyles, but many others experience poverty.
- Reduce poverty by family planning. With fewer children, more children will be sent to school.
- Give a life of dignity to the ageing population.
- Meet the needs of the youths. Delaying youth pregnancy will give opportunity for youths to pursue a career and fight poverty.
- Protect the environment. We only have one earth to live.
- Improve maternal health. Fewer pregnancies will result to healthier women.
Day of Seven Billion 2018
Day of the Seven Billion 2018 will be on Wednesday, October 31, 2018.