We cannot deny that some of our cultures and traditions do not all come from our own. Part of our cultures is contributed by people who came into our territory. That is why some of those contributions and the people behind them are remembered. Now it’s about time to celebrate German-American Day.
When is German American Day 2017?
German-American Day is on Friday, October 6, 2017.
German-American Day is celebrated annually on the 6th of October.
German-American Day Origin
National German-American Day gives honor to German Immigrants who have contributed to the culture and history of the United States. This day was originally observed in the 19th century.
In the year 1683, 13 German families landed in Philadelphia. They later founded Germantown, Pennsylvania. It was President Ronald Reagan who proclaimed in 1983 that the German-American Day be celebrated every 6th of October.
Ways to Celebrate German-American Day
You can celebrate this special day in any way you want but here are some ideas you may like:
- Try eating German foods such as Schwarzwurst or the popular Bratwurst.
- Buy items that are of German Origin.
- Search for famous people who are German-American.
- Watch movies of Leonardo DiCaprio or Tom Cruise, you may be surprised they have German ancestry.
- Learn to speak simple German greetings.
German-American Day 2018
German-American Day 2018 will be on Saturday, October 6, 2018.