Every human being has a right to life, dignity, freedom, nationality and religion. These are just some of the rights included in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Guinness World Record holder for the most translated document. Human Rights Day marks the anniversary of the presentation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. It is an opportunity to celebrate human rights and highlight issues surrounding it.
Human Rights Day 2017
Human Rights Day 2017 will be observed on Sunday, December 10, 2017.
Human Rights Day is celebrated every year on the 10th of December.
Human Rights Day History
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was drafted since January 1947 until December 1948. The aim was to form a basis for human rights around the world. It represented a significant change of direction from devastating World War II events. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights is considered to be the most translated document in modern history. It is already available in over 360 languages and more translations are still being added.
On December 10, 1948, the United Nations General Assembly adopted and proclaimed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Paris, France. During the UN meeting on December 4, 1950, all states and interested organizations were invited to observe December as Human Rights Day. The first observation of Human Rights Day was on December 10, 1950 and every year it this day has a theme.
Human Rights Day Observance
- On Human Rights Day, the UN holds high-level political conferences and meetings.
- The day is also marked by cultural events and exhibitions involving human rights issues. Since 1968, a five-yearly United Nations Prize and the Nobel Peace Prize are also awarded.
- Keynote Speeches and Panel Discussions from human rights leaders discussing the theme for the year.
- Giving of awards to local human rights heroes. Recognition of community members for their contributions to the advancement of human rights.
- Art competitions of high school students.
- Relevant entertainments are also featured.
Human Rights Day 2018
Human Rights Day 2018 will occur on Monday, December 10, 2018.