Limerick Day is celebrated in honor of the birth of English journalist Edward Lear, who is credited with making the limerick famous. A limerick is a five-line poem in which the in the first place, second and fifth lines rhyme, and the third and fourth lines also rhyme.
When is the Limerick Day 2017?
Limerick Day is celebrated on 12th May, 2017, a Friday.
Limerick Day is celebrated every year on the 12th May.
The origin of the Limerick Day
Celebrated annually on May 12, it is National Limerick Day. This day is celebrates for the birthday of English craftsman, artist, creator and writer Edward Lear (May 12, 1812 – Jan. 29, 1888). Lear is known mostly for his literary nonsense in poetry prose and limericks. National Limerick Day also celebrates the limerick poem. Limerick lyrics were advanced by Edward Lear’s book in 1846.
Edward Lear was the 21st child of Ann and Jeremiah Lear conceived in Holloway, he experienced epilepsy, asthma and breathing issues as a kid, in spite of the fact that in any case he supported a great feeling of humor which became his most notable trait. A limerick is a very short, clever, gibberish ballad. Inside a limerick there are five lines. The initial two lines rhyme with the fifth line and the third and fourth line rhyme together.
Two birds on the end of the branch
Watched the farmer’s wife out on the ranch
In the garden with a smile not a pout
On her knees’ pulling basket-fulls out
The veggies she hoped Mr. farmer would blanch
(written by Jill Magnus)
Ways to celebrate the Limerick Day
To celebrate Limerick Day, you should come up with your own witty limerick. Here are some ways to make the Limerick Day special:
- In honor of Limerick Day, try your hand at a few silly limericks or encourage the children to write a few too
- Visit Limerick, Ireland, the namesake of the sonnets. Limericks go once again over 500 years. They started as nursery rhymes. Bawdy forms soon spread in pubs and bars.
- Read a book of heritage limericks. Edward Lear wrote his “Book of Nonsense” with 72 limericks. His book distributed in 1846 turned into the standard.
- Share limericks from cutting edge creators like Ogden Nash who wrote: A jolly young fellow from YumaTold an elephant joke to a puma; now his skeleton lies beneath hot western skies -The puma had no sense of huma.
- Give the gift of poetry to children. Edward Lear wrote his “Book of Nonsense” to share with kids. Purchase a child’s book of limericks. Read them to your most loved youngster or grandchild. Sway kids to expound on a day’s event in limerick.
When is the Limerick Day in 2018?
Limerick Day 2018 will take place on Saturday, May 12, 2018.