Our lungs are very essential for breathing. Oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange in our body relies heavily on our lungs. Since lungs have such an important function and many people today experience lung-associated diseases, it is time to give attention to this important organ of our body. So, do not take your breath away and take part in celebrating Lung Health Day!
Lung Health Day 2014
Lung Health Day 2014 will take place on Wednesday, the 22nd of October, 2014.
Lung Health Day is celebrated every Wednesday of the Respiratory Care Week. Respiratory Care Week is celebrated annually on the last full week of October.
Lung Health Day Origin
Lung Health Day was created by the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC). It promotes good lung health through community activities. It also builds awareness of conditions and diseases that may affect the lungs.
On this day, respiratory care professionals hold events that teach about maintaining strong lung health to family, friends, neighbors, businesses and community leaders.
Lung Health Day Observance
Many factors affect the health of our lungs. To take care of our lungs this Lung Health Day, we can do some precautionary measures:
- Avoid smoking. As we all know, this is one major cause of lung cancer. Second-hand smoking must also be avoided as it is as dangerous to actual smoking.
- Ensure clean air quality inside your home. Many pollutants such as chemicals and allergens are present inside our homes. So proper ventilation should be provided.
- Practice good hygiene. A simple task such as washing your hands could prevent infections. Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing to prevent spread of diseases.
- Include fruits and vegetables in your daily food plan. Omega-3 rich foods also help in maintaining strong health of the lungs.
- If you work in areas exposed to dusts and chemicals, wear protective gears such as a gas mask.
Lung Health Day 2015
Lung Health Day 2015 will take place on Wednesday, the 21nd of October, 2015.