Melanoma is a serious malicious tumor of the skin that is considered a rare type of skin cancer. If you or anyone you know has been diagnosed with melanoma or any type of cancer for that matter, Melanoma Monday is a significant day to participate in.
WHEN IS Melanoma Monday 2017
Melanoma Monday 2017 happens on May 1, 2017, a Monday.
Melanoma Monday is celebrated every first Monday of May.
Melanoma Monday Origin
May is considered Skin Cancer Month and Melanoma Monday is observed every first Monday of May worldwide. Melanoma Monday was established by the American Academy of Dermatology. Melanoma Monday is also known as National Self-Examination Day wherein people are encouraged to examine themselves for skin cancer. Different dermatological societies in the world participate in Melanoma Monday.
Melanoma Monday Celebration
- Melanoma Monday is all about raising awareness regarding the early detection and prevention of melanoma. The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) together with Skin Cancer Foundation, American Cancer Society, Melanoma International Foundation and Billy Foundation offer many free skin cancer exams across the United States and Canada.
- Local melanoma and skin cancer organizations worldwide also have organized events to emphasize the need for early diagnosis and cure of melanoma.
- The general public can participate by sharing information about melanoma through social media.
- Survivors of skin cancer can also share their stories to inspire others.
Melanoma Monday Facts
- Melanoma is a rare type of skin cancer that has causes around 75% of deaths associated with skin cancer in the United States and Canada.
- The only procedure that is known to increase the chance of cure for melanoma is early surgical resection of the thin tumors.
- In the US alone, around 60,000 new cases of malicious melanoma are diagnosed every year.
- The World Health Organization has a report that says nearly 48,000 deaths are related to melanoma every year.
- Symptoms of melanoma include a change in shape and color of a mole (including itching and bleeding), marked fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting.
- There are a number of studies that have found the possibility of familial or genetic melanoma.
- ABCDE is the popular mnemonic used to keep track of the symptoms of melanoma (Asymmetrical skin lesion, Border of the lesion is not regular, Color – melanomas generally have several colors, Diameter – moles larger than 6 mm are more prone to be melanomas than moles of lesser mm, Enlarging- Enlarging or evolving moles)
- Melanoma can be treated by surgical removal of tumor, chemo and immunotherapy, radiation therapy and adjuvant therapy.
Melanoma Monday 2018
Melanoma Monday 2018 will be on Monday May 7, 2018.