Are you one of those people who appreciate the classic vinyl records over downloadable songs? Or maybe you a true music fan who love attending concerts? Well, Record Store Day is a special celebration that honors the existence and continued relevance of record stores.
Record Store Day 2017
Record Store Day 2017 happens on April 15, 2017, a Saturday.
Record Store Day is celebrated every third Saturday of April.
Record Store Day Origin
Record Store Day is a celebration of the culture of independently owned record store. It is an international special day that brings together independent record stores, artists and fans all over the world. The inspiration for Record Store Day is a comment by Chris Brown (a Bull Moose employee) that there should be something like a Free Comic Book Day for record stores.
Eric Levin, Michael Kurtz, Carrie Colliton, Amy Dorfman, Don Van Cleave and Brian Poehner founded the Record Store Day in 2007.
Record Store Day Celebration
- When Record Store Day comes around there is a release of marketing materials including a list of records to be available on that day.
- Many artists participate in Record Store Day by going to the record stores, meeting and greeting fans, signing records and sometimes even having a mini concert.
- Music fans could benefit by going to the local music store on Record Store Day to catch the latest records and participating artists as well.
Record Store Day Facts
- Record Store Day is managed by the Department of Record Stores together with the Coalition of Independent Music Stores and the Alliance of Independent Media Stores.
- In 2008, Metallica kicked off the first Record Store Day at Rasputin Music in Mountain View
- The second Record Store Day came out with about 85 special releases and 500 appearances by artists such as Bob Dylan, The Stooges, Tom Waits and The Eagles of Death Metal.
- Joshua Humme was the official ambassador for Record Store Day 2010 and the official book was “Last Shop Standing: Whatever Happened to Record Shops by Graham Jones”. On the same year, The Smashing Pumpkins kicked off their tour with a special Record Store Day Concert at Amoeba, Hollywood, California
- The official ambassador for Record Store Day 2011 was Ozzy Osbourne and there were about 600 artists who made in-store appearances to celebrate. It was the largest music event of its kind with the artists like Duran Duran, Beastie Boys, My Chemical Romance, Foo Fighters, Wiz Khalifa, Regina Spektor, Josh Groban and the Deftones participating. There was even an official film called “Sound It Out”, a documentary by Jeanie Finlay.
- Record Store Day 2012’s official ambassador was Iggy Pop and there were more than 400 releases made for that day.
- In 2013 the Record Store Day co-founded Michael Kurtz received his knighthood in France in January. It was also the year that Boards of Canada used Record Store Day to launch a viral marketing campaign for their album Tomorrow’s Harvest. The record was said to have fetched $5,700 on ebay.
Record Store Day 2018
Record Store Day 2018 will happen on Saturday, April 21, 2018.
More special days on this date: