As The Beatles would have it, “We all live in a yellow submarine”. In the modern world, no one can deny the usefulness of the underwater vehicle for tactical and military operation as well as for amusement of the wealthy. Whether you have tried a submarine before or have always dreamed of being in one, the Submarine Day honors the invention and use.
Submarine Day 2018
Submarine Day 2018 in the United States will take place on Wednesday, April 11, 2018. Submarine Day 2018 will take place on Saturday, March 17, 2018 in other parts of the world.
Submarine Day is celebrated every 11th of April in the US. Submarine Day will take place on 17th of March in other parts of the world.
Submarine Day Origin
Submarine Day is considered by the United States submarine community as a special day in commemoration of the day that the United States Government purchased USS Holland on April 11, 1900. USS Holland was the first commissioned submarine of the American Government.
Submarine Day Celebration
- Learn more about submarines by visiting a submarine museum. In the United States, there are about 25 museums dedicated to submarines and underwater navigation.
- Have a Submarine Day party complete with sub sandwiches and submarine-related songs.
- Have a marathon of submarine related movies such as Submarine, U-571, Up Periscope, Das Boot, The Hunt for Red October, The Abyss, Submerged, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Submerged, The Spy Who Loved Me and Men of Honor.
- Visit your local library to learn more about submarines.
- If you are a submarine enthusiast and know all about the history and development of the submarine, offer to speak at a local public school about submarines to increase appreciation of the special day from the students.
- Host or join a sub sandwich making contest or sub sandwich eating contest.
- Volunteer to make sub sandwiches at a local soup kitchen or shelter.
- If you have enough money or some good connections, get on board a submarine or a submersible vehicle and enjoy the underwater sights.
- Donate to the local charities that work with families of the marines.
Submarine Day Facts
- The first recorded submersible was built in 1620 for James I of England by Cornelius Drebbel. It was an oar-powered contraption which was considered as very odd and not useful at that time.
- Initially, Submarine Day was considered to be March 17, the day that John Philip Holland’s submarine invention called Holland VI made its first successful submersion in 1898 in front of the US Navy Department which impressed them.
- The United Kingdom is the country known to be most active in celebrating Submarine Day, which they celebrate on March 17.
Submarine Day 2019
Submarine Day 2019 in the United States will take place on Thursday, April 11, 2019. Submarine Day 2019 will take place on Sunday, March 17, 2019 in other parts of the world.