Tourism is one of the continuously growing industries all over the world. So many people like to travel each year, there have been several magazines, books, websites and shows dedicated to travel and tourism. If you are a fan of tourism or you enjoy learning about other places, Tourism Day is a fun day to celebrate.
When is Tourism Day 2017
Tourism Day 2017 happens on September 27, 2017, a Wednesday.
Tourism Day is celebrated every 27th of September.
Tourism Day Origin
The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) has been celebrating Tourism Day since 1980. September 27 was the chosen date because it was the date in 1970 when the Statues of the UNWTO were adopted, which was a milestone in tourism all over the world. In the year 1997, the UNWTO General Assembly mandated that a country will be hosting Tourism Day each time it is celebrated. At the Beijing session of the UNWTO, the General Assembly decided to follow the geographic order in assigning the host country for Tourism Day celebration—Europe in 2006, South Asia in 2007, the Americas in 2008, Africa in 2009 and the Middle East in 2011.
Tourism Day is celebrated to raise awareness about the effects of tourism on the social, political, cultural and economic values on a global scale.
More Interesting, Similar Days:
Tourism Day Celebration
- Tourism Day is an international celebration with the different UNWTO member nations carrying out activities during the special day such as heads of state giving special messages, holding conferences and seminars, broadcasting the UNWTO secretary general’s message and more.
- Individuals can avail of free, discounted or special offers at events of regarding tourism
- Several participating countries have special tours, fares and even have their public transportation decorated for the occasion
- Hotels and restaurants in member nations sometimes hold special welcome ceremonies for tourists during Tourism Day
- The Tourism Merit award is given to several professionals and the press too
- During Tourism Day, it is amazing to watch different countries hold parades and exhibitions to increase awareness of tourism
- At a local level, it is common to witness illumination of special monuments and historic sites, hosting of concerts, festivals and folk shows.
- Most of the time there are also several gastronomic shows that display local delicacies
- Tourists can make the most out of Tourism Day by scheduling a visit to the host country for the year or making sure to be at a member country around the time of celebration
Tourism Day Facts
- The United Nations World Tourism Organization’s membership is composed of 156 countries, 6 associate members and more than 400 affiliate members that represent educational institutions, tourism authorities and the private sector.
- The host for Tourism Day 2009 was Africa with the theme of “Celebrating Diversity”.
- In 2010, Tourism Day was hosted by China with the theme of “Tourism and Biodiversity”
- In the year 2011 the theme was “Tourism Linking Cultures” and Tourism Day was hosted by Egypt.
- “Tourism and Energetic Sustainability” was the theme for 2012 Tourism Day which was held in Maspalomas, Gran Canaria
- Last year, Malaysia hosted Tourism Day with the theme of “Tourism and Water: Protecting our Common Future”
When is Tourism Day 2018
Tourism Day 2018 will be on Thursday, 27th of September, 2018.