Umbrella Day honors one of the most useful inventions in the world, the umbrella! No doubt, umbrellas have been keeping us dry during rainy season and protecting us from the harmful rays of the sun. Umbrella is also of great use in photography and can be used as an accessory. And who would disagree that an umbrella can be used as a weapon against attackers? Show your appreciation for the invention of this functional object by celebrating Umbrella Day!
Umbrella Day 2018
Umbrella Day 2018 will be celebrated on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
Umbrella Day always takes place on the 10th of February.
Umbrella Day Origin
No originator or date of creation of Umbrella Day is yet found. (If you know let me know 🙂
Umbrella Facts and History
- An umbrella or parasol is a canopy used to protect against rain or sunlight.
- A parasol is a device designed to protect from the sun while an umbrella is an item that protects from rain. The material it is made of makes the difference.
- Parasol came from the words “para” which means to stop or shield and “sol” which means sun.
- Umbrella came from the Latin word “umbella”, a flat-topped rounded flower, and “umbra” meaning shaded or shadow.
- The basic umbrella was made more than four thousand years ago. Evidence of umbrellas was seen in Egypt, China, Greece and Assyria. These ancient umbrellas were designed to protect from the sun.
- The first to use umbrellas for rain protection were the Chinese. They waterproofed umbrellas by putting wax and lacquer to paper parasols.
- Today, an umbrella is used as an icon for rain in weather reports.
Umbrella Day Celebration
- Research more facts about the origin and history of umbrella in the internet.
- Be aware of the different designs and sizes of umbrellas. Umbrella fabrics are chosen depending on purpose. For your umbrella to last long, make sure you use it for its purpose.
- Learn how to care for your umbrellas. Don’t fold it up when wet. Find a place to dry it first. If it is not possible, shake off moisture before folding and open it up for drying as soon as you can.
- Know about other uses of umbrella aside from keeping you dry or shaded. Umbrella garnish is used as a decoration in cocktail drinks.
- Recycle your umbrellas. Don’t just throw away old umbrellas. Use your creativity and transform it into a skirt or pouch for rainy days.
- Play with your kids. Make a “rain” using a water hose and use umbrellas as shields.
- Of course, the best way is to take your umbrella with you. Don’t have an umbrella yet? Maybe it’s time to get one!
Umbrella Day 2019
Umbrella Day 2019 will be on Sunday, February 10, 2019.